Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Going with the Flow

Before coming to Nicaragua I figured that this time would be just as easy as all my other trips out of the country; and now I see how very wrong I was in that assumption. I have never lived in a culture like Nicaragua before.  After being here for little more than a month, I have noticed there are many differences, both positive and negative.
In a class I learned of different stages that we and many go through in their time here in Nicaragua.  Unlike people that go to different countries for a short term, I have to stay for four months.  At first coming here is and was a thrill a new journey in life. And I was excited to just be out of the States – this lasted for about two weeks. A fight stage occurred next. I began to see how things are done here, and how people condone themselves.  I didn’t appreciate many of these tendencies or values. I often complained that my food was always the same; the internet didn’t work as fast or at all, and I was tired of being in bed at 8 and lacking any form of independence to go out at night.
As the weeks continued, I got more frustrated with how different things here are.  I started to crave more ‘American’ things, like chocolate, Facebook, and the ability to call friends and family back home.  I finally realized that my expectations of how things should go were dragging me down not only socially, but spiritually.  My negative attitude towards the way Nicaraguans did things wasn’t healthy; especially if I was going to be here for three more months.  At home, I like to think of myself as someone that goes with the flow of things, somewhere in my time here, I lost that. I decided that I needed to get back to that place.
As soon as I made this change of heart and mind, things have begun to get better.  The internet and ability to call home has improved, and I am enjoying my food much more. Since this change of heart I have started to appreciate certain Nicaraguan qualities more.  And while I could tolerate less early nights, less early mornings (due to roosters), and less rice and beans; all these things are here for me to endure, to grow from, and learn more about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment